There are plenty of reasons why you should go twice a year for a dental cleaning. But here are the top 8 reasons to go. Honestly, you really shouldn’t need any more reasons than these, but if you do, ask your dentists and we’re sure he or she can provide more reasons to show up to your cleaning!
8. Creates treatment plan – Problems occur no matter what level of oral hygiene you have. Going to the dentist regularly will help them and you figure out a right path of treatment. This discussion may include required procedures, costs and time. This way, you’ll get a full understanding of the plan of action.
7. Keeps oral health habits on track – During a dental cleaning, the hygienists and dentists will help ensure that you’re maintaining good oral health. If you’re falling behind on oral hygiene, he or she will help you gain better habits.
6. Saves money – Dental insurance plans typically pay for all or most of the cost of dental cleanings and check ups every six months. You can save a lot of money with these checkups by avoiding costly dental procedures that result from prolonged poor oral health.
5. Detects dental problems early – Dentists and hygienist are able to detected early signs of problems with your teeth and gums. This includes an early detection of cavities, broken fillings and gum disease. If these problems remain untreated, much more expensive treatments will have to occur such as root canals, gum surgery and removal of teeth.
4. Gives a bright and white smile, prevents bad breath – The hygienist clean your mouth from top to bottom. This includes tooth polishing with prophy paste to create a beautiful shine. Studies have shown that about 85 percent of people with persistent bad breath, or halitosis, have a dental problem to blame. Good oral hygiene is imperative in preventing bad breath.
3. Maintains good physical health – Various studies have linked heart attacks and strokes to gum disease and poor oral health. With a dental cleaning every 6 months, your teeth and gums will remain healthy and thus reducing the risk of heart disease and strokes.
2. Prevents oral cancer – Someone dies from oral cancer every hours of every day in the US alone, according to the Oral Cancer Foundation. When you have a dental cleaning the dentist is also screening you for oral cancer, which is highly treatable during an early diagnosis.
1. Prevents gum disease – Gum disease is an infection in the gum tissues and bone, which keep the teeth in place. Gum disease is the leading cause of adult tooth loss. If diagnosed early, gum disease can be reversed with the proper treatment. However, if treatment is not received, gum disease can turn into an advanced stage and you’ll begin to lose teeth. Regular dental cleanings and check up, flossing daily and brushing twice a day are all important factors in attacking this very preventable disease.